Change of Direction

We had another jam/recording session at the weekend, and things took an interesting (for me, at least) turn following a bit of between-track banter. We’d been working on a song that just wasn’t quite coming together in the way expected – it kept turning into a ballad without being asked. Some chat later, we came across the discovery that we both have a deep love of Can‘s music, which changed things in a significant fashion.

So now we’re going to focus on longer improvisational pieces, which may be overlaid with spoken word or singing depending on the music. We recorded a number of improvised snippets with just bass and synth, with fairly mixed results. Mostly it sounded like a part of a larger piece, lacking percussion and a lead instrument or voice, whilst some bits just sounded painful, like when we changed key to different keys, but time and practice should sort those things out, or at least address how to recover quickly. There were a few parts where the sounds and the lines we were playing meshed together really well, giving a hint of how good it could be with work.

What I particularly like about this direction is that it will allow us to swap between instruments and make use of our whole sonic arsenal, which means I’ll get to put the theremin and yobstick (when completed) into use.

Hopefully we’ll have another session within the next week or two, and more progress can be made…